Lupus is a chronic systemic disease that affects many people worldwide. One of the common reasons for the occurrence of this disease is an imbalance in the immune system of the body and this is why this disease is called as an auto immune disease. There are several forms of this disease including systemic Lupus erythematosis, which is the most severe form of the disease and is commonly known as SLE.
Lupus can commonly affect the skin and also the joints, other than attacking various systems in the body. The skin can have rashes and the joints can become inflamed. Joint inflammation can be associated with pain, just like in any form of arthritis. In fact, lupus is greatly associated with arthritis. Medical marijuana is very beneficial in the treatment of various symptoms of Lupus.
Benefit of medical marijuana while treating Lupus.
1. Pain relief: Pain relief is the primary benefit of using medical marijuana in the treatment of Lupus. Pain can be present mainly in the joints, but there is also general pain all over the body. Since this is a systemic disease, most parts of the body are affected. The pain pathway in the body is interrupted when medical cannabis is consumed. This helps in the relief of chronic pain.
2. Reduction in joint inflammation: Joint inflammation can also be reduced when medical cannabis is consumed. This is because of the fact that it is anti inflammatory in nature. So, it has a general tendency to reduce the inflammation in the body. When there is reduction in inflammation, there is associated pain relief too. Arthritic changes in the joints are also prevented when this wonder drug is used.
3. Immune system imbalance is corrected: Though Lupus is caused by imbalance of the immune system and is not easily treated by other drugs; medical marijuana is able to correct the immune system imbalance to a great extent. This helps in preventing any exacerbation of the disease too. The chronic nature of the disease is curtailed with the regular use of medical cannabis.
Though many people who are treated for Lupus are satisfied with traditional medicines, they are not happy about the various side effects that are caused by the drugs consumed. Vomiting and nausea are common symptoms of most drugs. When the medical cannabis is used, all these side effects and complications are not present. This is an additional reason for most patients to be satisfied with the use of medical marijuana in the treatment of Lupus.
Medical marijuana has been a very useful drug in the treatment of various health conditions. It is a drug that is increasingly being used for the treatment of chronic diseases. It may not be very useful in the treatment of acute symptoms, but it is highly effective in the treatment of chronic symptoms of certain diseases.
Diseases where Medical marijuana is useful
1. Multiple sclerosis: Multiple sclerosis is a disease where the use of medical marijuana has been proven. There are several variants of this disease and most of the chronic forms of this disease are treated with this unique drug.
2. Epilepsy: Epilepsy is a serious condition that can cause severe residual impairments in the brain. It is imperative to treat it as early as possible and also prevent recurrence of seizures. Medical marijuana does just that. It helps to prevent severe seizures and also reduces the occurrence of seizures, thus preventing complications.
3. Arthritis: Arthritis is an inflammation of the joints. Various kinds of arthritis are seen in people. Most of these forms of arthritis are incurable. The pain and limitation in activity in such people is very severe. Medical marijuana helps in reducing the pain and improves movements in arthritic patients.
Symptoms that are overcome with medical marijuana
1. Pain: Pain is a very treatable condition in most diseases. Acute pain can be treated with various drugs, but when the disease is severe and when the symptoms are chronic, only few drugs will be able to help overcome the pain. Medical marijuana is able to get rid of pain in very severe and chronic diseases.
2. Muscle spasms: Muscle spasms can be caused in two ways. It could be caused because of severe pain where the muscle goes into protection mode. Spasms can also be caused because of increased brain activity leading to muscle contractions. Medical marijuana helps in the control of muscle spasm no matter how it is caused. There is a reduction in the severity of spasm. This helps in further reduction of pain and also helps in improvement in the activity levels of affected individuals.
3. Dementia: Dementia is one of the main symptoms of Alzheimer’s disease. Medical marijuana helps in the reduction of dementia. This helps to improve the productivity of people affected by the disease. It also helps in reducing the dependency of the affected person on caregivers.
4. Seizures: There is a decrease in the severity and occurrence of seizures. This helps in improving the health condition of patients.